Thursday, August 25, 2016

Boys (2014)


I finally got around to watching Boys or Jongens (2014), the teen gay love story from the Netherlands. Sieger and Marc are adorable, and the film is beautiful to look at. It’s a sweet film that I wish was around when I was Sieger’s and Marc’s age.

I was surprised by the setting and rural culture. The small town is quite woodsy. Sieger’s and Marc’s first kiss takes place at the local swimming hole, and their second occurs when they stop on a path through the woods to observe two fawns. Sieger’s older brother has a dirt bike, and he enjoys riding it along trails in the woods. The kids have parties in the woods, and I noticed Sieger’s father has a popup camper in his garage.

I had seen a lot of screen shots and several clips, and I was almost positive I would like this film. I guess I put off watching it because I thought it might stir up my feelings and break my heart a little, and it did.


Sieger is a rather passive boy who hasn’t quite figured out who he is yet, so Marc, the new kid in town, takes him by surprise. He wants Marc, but he’s not ready to come out yet, apparently not even to himself.  When Sieger pushes Marc away, literally gives him a shove, so Eddy, Sieger’s older brother, won’t suspect anything is going on between them, I was sitting here talking back to the screen with tears rolling down my face. “Oh, baby, don’t do that. You love Marc. Don’t ruin it.” And, of course, the film brought up old emotions from my teen years, those intense longings and paralyzing fears. Oh, how I wanted someone like Marc, and at the same time I was terrified of anyone finding out I wanted someone like Marc.

No comments:

Post a Comment