Tuesday, December 30, 2014

WD's Pretty Scenery

I’m almost finished with The Walking Dead: Season 4.  A friend and I will watch the final two episodes on Friday. (We chat online while we watch.) I love the series now just as much as I did when I first started watching. The characters are compelling and I care about them. The plot is strong. The show is terrifying, and like good literature, it causes us to reflect on the human condition and human nature.

I am always involved with the story, but there are a lot of outdoor shots, and a lot of the scenes take place in the woods, which can be a little distracting for me. This season, we saw many of the characters hike along railroad tracks through the woods. As I understand it, the series is filmed primarily in Georgia, so the woods are dense and mostly deciduous. They are very much like the woods in West Virginia minus the mountains. While watching the show, I’m sometimes overcome with homesickness. Despite the horror, I long to be in those scenes, to walk along those tracks, to smell the moist earth and decaying carpet of leaves, to hear the birds and cicadas. One of the reasons I like the show is because of all the pretty scenery. That may be a little odd, but it’s true.

No comments:

Post a Comment