Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Just because they go to church and sing about Jesus doesn't mean they're not trash.

As far as I’m concerned, there is no debate about LGBT rights. We are here. We are human beings who deserve equality. We deserve to be loved and treated fairly by our families. We deserve to be raised in supportive homes. We deserve to be nurtured for who we are while growing up. We should not be taught that our natural feelings are sinful when we’re young and vulnerable.

I don’t care what the parents believe, teaching children that being LGBT is sinful instills self-hatred in LGBT kids, and it creates a hostile environment. This is inexcusable. Some may truly be confused by the issue, and I think it’s good to help those people understand. A lot of us have a hard time understanding something that’s not part of our experience. I know that I do sometimes.

But those who dig in their heels and refuse to hear us and use their Bibles as an excuse… I have contempt for those people, and I don’t think their “religious objection” is in any way legitimate.

LGBT people were persecuted for so long that we didn’t even know ourselves for centuries, but for the last 150 years or so, there has been a growing awareness that LGBT people exist, that we are not diseased, and we don’t chose to be who we are just so we can offend anyone’s god.

If there ever was a time to debate this issue, it is now long over. In my view, those who refuse to accept this are craven, wicked, despicable human beings who would rather cling to their silly, infantile dogma than face reality, even if that means their own LGBT children will die as a result.

I lived among people like that most of my life. They’ve taken from me all their going to get. I have no sympathy for people who can’t stop pulling Bible quotes and vicious, bigoted lies out of their asses long enough to come to terms with the fact that LGBT people live among them and deserve fairness and respect. These bigots have been informed, but they don’t want to hear it. Just because they go to church and sing about Jesus doesn’t mean they’re not trash. I want to stay as far away from them as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment